Welcome to SC-SIC
It’s time for SICs to start preparing their Level One applications for the 2021 Dick and Tunky Riley Award for SIC Excellence. SICs convened for at least one (1) year are eligible to participate in the award process based on their achievements in the prior school year. You can view and download the 2021 Riley Award application here. The deadline for receipt of Level One applications is 5:00 p.m., Friday, December 4, 2020. For more information on the Riley Award, you can read about it here, reach out to the SC-SIC office at 1-800-868-2232, or contact SC-SIC Associate Director Karen Utter at email@example.com.
Changes to Local SIC Operations Advised Due to COVID-19
As the 2020-21 school year gets underway – in various formats across the state – the SC School Improvement Council (SC-SIC) shares some pertinent information regarding changes to local SIC operations necessitated by the coronavirus pandemic.
· Reminder – The deadline for the 2020 “SIC Report to the Parents,” (originally April 30, 2020) has been extended to November 1, 2020 as previously communicated in April by SC-SIC. In addition to the content recommendations made in SC-SIC’s “SIC Report to the Parents Toolkit,” local SICs may also wish to include information in their Reports describing their efforts in assisting school communities during closures caused by COVID-19. SICs are requested to post electronic versions of their 2020 Reports to the SC-SIC Member Network by December 1, 2020.
· Local SICs are advised to meet virtually until further notice, as well as to hold their SIC member elections virtually (see the first installment of “SIC180” on social media and posted on the SC-SIC homepage relative to this). A 60-minute webinar (and handout) on virtual SIC meetings and SIC elections is now available online here.
· SIC member elections should be held as stipulated in statute by October 15, followed by SIC officer elections and mandated membership data reporting to the SC-SIC Member Network by November 15. SC-SIC realizes that due to current circumstances that there may be some unavoidable delays in meeting these deadlines – however, SICs are strongly advised to follow these statutory requirements as closely as possible.
· Due to COVID-19, district-wide in-person SIC member training sessions have been temporarily suspended. SIC District Contacts and local SICs are encouraged to utilize the “SIC Basics” online video training modules available on SC-SIC’s website. Virtual online SIC training will be available later this fall.
· Riley Award for SIC Excellence applications are now available online. It’s time for School Improvement Councils to prepare their Level One applications for the 2021 Dick and Tunky Riley Award for School Improvement Council Excellence. SICs convened for at least one (1) year are eligible to participate in the award process based on their achievements in the prior year. Several changes to the application have been made this year to address the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on SICs during 2019-20 and 2020-21. The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., Friday, December 4, 2020. For more information on the Riley Award, including the award process timeline as well as other information and guidelines, visit the Riley Award info page on the SC-SIC website or reach out to the SC-SIC office at 1-800-868-2232.
Don’t hesitate to contact the SC-SIC office at 1-800-868-2232 or contact us should you have questions or need additional information.
SC-SIC Executive Director Tom F. Hudson shares information with local School Improvement Councils on applying for the 2021 "Dick and Tunky Riley Award for SIC Excellence." Application deadline is 12/04/2020.
Carolina Family Engagement Center’s “Ready, Set - Kindergarten!” Family Guides for Preschool-Kindergarten Development
CFEC is pleased to offer these guides highlighting the six areas of growth and experience involved in helping children be ready for school. With a brief introduction to each area and samples of the experiences and skills children need to move through preschool, families across SC can learn what they can do at home to help their child progress and succeed. View or download them here.